07 September, 2010

The Father Relationship (EXPERIENCE OF MASCULINITY)

[continued]

The "E" in FATHER stands for the Experience of Masculinity.

 I Corinthians 11:1-2 says,
"Imitate me, then, just as I imitate Christ."

Can our fathers say that? Imitate me as I Imitate Christ? Can we say that?

"I praise you, because you always remember me and follow the teachings that I have handed on to you."

The way we learn how a man acts, what a man is, comes from absorbing the attitudes, the actions, and the way of life of our father. For those who have no man in the house, there must be a significant male role model in the life of your children because they learn masculinity from the way that man relates to them. Perhaps an uncle, grandfather, an elder, or some Godly man at church could provide that Godly masculine role model and masculine experience -- good or bad. Girls look to the praise of their father for their sense of femininity, for their sense of beauty, for their sense of autonomy. When that girl leaves home, she's going to expect her husband to act the same way her father acted towards her.

One of the difficulties in Catholic education is that children are taught one way in school and then they go home and see their fathers acting opposite. This creates tremendous confusion. That's why the churches have always maintained that the primary teachers of children are parents because the children absorb from the parents their way of life.

[continued]
photo: dlibrary.acu.edu.au

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?